A child therapist is trained in the field of childhood psychology to focus on children’s development and behavior. It is one of the most commonly studied types of psychology today. At Treehouse Family Counseling Services, our licensed and pre-licensed clinicians create an inviting space for your child to heal and grow.
Child therapists work with children and their primary caregivers to research, assess and treat developmental issues. A child therapist might work with ‘normal’ children or with children who exhibit behavioral, developmental, or emotional issues.
Signs that a child may benefit from seeing a psychologist or licensed child therapist include:
- developmental delay in speech, language, or toilet training
- learning or attention problems (such as ADHD)
- behavioral problems (such as excessive anger, acting out, bedwetting or eating disorders)
- a significant drop in grades, particularly if your child normally maintains high grades
- episodes of sadness, tearfulness, or depression
- social withdrawal or isolation
- being the victim of bullying or bullying other children
- decreased interest in previously enjoyed activities
- overly aggressive behavior (such as biting, kicking, or hitting)
- sudden changes in appetite (particularly in adolescents)
- insomnia or increased sleepiness
- excessive school absenteeism or tardiness
- mood swings (e.g., happy one minute, upset the next)
- development of or an increase in physical complaints (such as headache, stomachache, or not feeling well) despite a normal physical exam by your doctor
- management of a serious, acute, or chronic illness
- signs of alcohol, drug, or other substance use (such as solvents or prescription drug abuse)
- problems in transitions (following separation, divorce, or relocation)
- bereavement issues
- custody evaluations
- therapy following sexual, physical, or emotional abuse or other traumatic events
Child therapists use a range of psychology techniques, including cognitive behavioral therapy. Play therapy has become a source of treatment for a multitude of child therapists and is the modality used most often at Treehouse Family Counseling Services, PC. It is often known that children grow bored more easily than adults and, as such, child therapists incorporate a variety of treatment options in their sessions.
For more information about the child therapists at Treehouse Family Counseling Services, PC; schedule a consultation by calling 925-820-8447.